YMCA Power of Peace Awards

Power of peaceI was recently honoured by being nominated for and becoming a finalist for the International category of the YMCA Power of Peace awards.

See a YMCA Power of Peace clip here.
Nazanin Afshin-Jam, who has a name like liquid poetry, was the captivating keynote speaker and winner in the emerging leaders category. Nazanin is a human rights activist, as well as the co-founder and President of Stop Child Executions which she started when she realized there is a sobering 140 children on death row in Iran alone.

The crowd was entertained by performances by local artists including Kunaka Youth Marimba, Miyanda (African Drumming and Dance), and Joe Given (a local award winning teenage singer, songwriter, and performer).  It’s a toss up which is more captivating, watching Joe perform with his shaggy mane of curls or listening to his lyrics (he sings about drawing a bigger circle to be more inclusive).

I brought my family to the celebration and the true indicator of what a great night it was was when my 12 year old turned to me and said ‘mom you should be nominated every year, this is so cool’.

Peace to me is more than the absence of conflict.  It’s the space and freedom for significant individual and community similarities to shine as well as the space and freedom for differences that make a difference to be respected.

What does peace mean to you?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “YMCA Power of Peace Awards”

1. Carol McCord Says:
    December 3rd, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Got your newsletter. Not sure how but glad that I did.

Here’s a quote I heard the other day you might appreciate.

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it? – Eleanor Roosevelt.

Carol

2. Lee-Anne Ragan Says:
    December 4th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Love it. Thanks for sharing. It’s a telling quote. Here’s to tender consciences.

3. Curtis K. Says:
    January 8th, 2010 at 9:29 am

The website was decisively fantastic! Lots of great information and creativity, both of which we all need!

4. Lee-Anne Ragan Says:
    January 8th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Curtis. Much appreciated. I agree, the world needs more creativity, or rather I think it’s there, we just have to rediscover it.

5. Harry Jones Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for sharing.

6. Abigail MacPherson Says:
    February 2nd, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Ace blog. You have got a brand-new fan. Please maintain the great writings and I look forward to more of your intriguing updates.

7. Lee-Anne Ragan Says:
    February 2nd, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Abigail! I’ll keep writing, you keep reading. It’s a deal.

8. kunaka Says:
    March 30th, 2010 at 3:28 am

[…] … local musicians such as Curtis Clearsky, Kunaka, The Main Offenders and First Ladies Crew. …Rock.Paper.Scissors.Blog Blog Archive YMCA Power of Peace …Posted by Lee-Anne Ragan | Filed under Conflict, Travel. I was recently honoured by being … […]